Friday, January 02, 2015

MOOCs, information literacy and the role of the librarian

I am giving a talk MOOCs, information literacy and the role of the librarian at Edinburgh University, Scotland on 12 January 2014, 13:30-14:30. I will start by briefly outlining some general characteristics of MOOCs and my own experience with them. I will go on to identify types of MOOC (network-based, task-based and content-based) and the implications for MOOC pedagogy. As part of this discussion I will note some findings from an investigation into the value of learning analytics for MOOC educators (undertaken by Naomi Colhoun at Sheffield University in summer 2014). In the final part of her presentation I will reflect on the various roles that have been, or could be, adopted by librarians, and the implications for librarian education and development. You can book at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/sheila-webber-moocs-information-literacy-and-the-role-of-the-librarian-tickets-14905382400
Photo by Sheila Webber: Romeo, Lady Dinah's cat emporium, December 2014

No comments: