Tuesday, August 20, 2013

My keynote: Question and enquire: taking a critical pathway to understand our users #wlic2013

I gave a keynote at the IFLA Satellite conference on information literacy last week, and here is my powerpoint presentation. I identify that things to aim for are:
- Support and challenge students to become lifelong reflective learners with deep critical information behaviour (IB)
- Support citizens/ workers as if they were, or aspired to be, lifelong reflective learners with deep critical IB
- Reflect on, and develop, our own IB and IL and be willing to challenge assumptions (including our own)
Then I go on to expand on the ideas of how you can take, and support, a more critical approach, including getting to know what your users are doing, and being willing to question your own assumptions about what is appropriate or inappropriate information behaviour. By the way I refer to Perry's framework of intellectual development and the research on approaches to learning, and there are 2 slides with more detail on these AFTER my references slide at the end.


No comments: