Monday, May 23, 2011

Information Literacy and the role of the supervisor: a supervisor's perspective

All of the powerpoints from the UK University Science and Technology Librarians' Group (USTLG) meeting (focusing on information literacy) are now online at http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/ustlg/spring11/index.htm. I have embedded my own presentation below. I was talking about supervising doctoral students: as well as supervising my own students, I have also examined PhDs at other universities.
I aimed to identify some of the different factors which can affect the information literacy and information behaviour of the supervisors and students. In particular, I drew on research by Lee (2008) which identified 5 different approaches to doctoral supervision. I also used some quotations from my own students, and from academics, and I mentioned the Researcher Deevelopment Framework.

No comments: