Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Discussions at the Centre for Information Literacy Research in SL

These will be held on the Infolit iSchool island in Second Life, devoted to information literacy, information management and inquiry-based learning. You need a SL avatar to participate.

Use of variation theory to design a curriculum 12 noon SL time (8pm UK time), Thurs 8th May, coordinates: Infolit iSchool (45, 202,22). Presentation by Sheila Yoshikawa (me), with discussion.

I will be previewing a talk I am giving at the Phenomenography Special Interest Group conference in Sweden at the end of May. I will be outlining how I aim to apply the findings of a previous phenomenographic enquiry into UK academics' pedagogy for information literacy, in designing an "Education for Information Literacy" module in a new MA Information Literacy programme. Variation theory is the term used to describe the educational approach of facilitating students' learning through helping them to experience variation in conceptions ofa phenomenon. I'm also giving this in real life at 10 am on 9th May in our Department in Sheffield (Regent Court building)

A first year undergraduate class in Second Life 08.30 SL time (16.30 UK time), Thurs 15h May, Infolit iSchool (45, 202,22). Sheila Yoshikawa (me), Ishbel Hartmann (Vicki Cormie) and Maggie Kohime (Lyn Parker) will outline their activities with 1st year undergraduate students taking the BSc Information Management course.

1 comment:

will789gb said...

Sheila,

Thanks for doing this presentation, the first I could actually follow in SL. Had to download the PDF directly but mostly things worked.

I have put a photo on Flickr. Hope that's ok.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/animx/2478156324/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/animx/2478156200

If not, let me know

Will

will.pollard@gmail.com